Parent Teacher Association
Mission Statement of Parent Teacher Association (PTA):
The New York State Congress of Parent and Teachers, Inc. (NYSPTA) recognizes that every child deserves excellence in education and in quality of life. NYS PTA will maintain its commitment and service to all children and to its diverse membership through increased parent and community awareness. (Developed August 10, 1990; revised August 10, 1991)
Frontier Central Parent Teacher Association is part of the New York State PTA, which believes that every child deserves excellence in education and in quality of life. PTA was formed in 1897 to discuss ?questions most vital to the welfare of children.? Since its founding, the organization has grown to over six million members in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the European and Pacific Congress serving Departments of Defense Schools.
There are now over 380,00 PTA members in New York State. The New York State PTA has had many achievements since its founding. Some issues are still current today. For example, prevention of smoking by minors has been a PTA issue since the 1920?s. PTA members are advocates for the well being of children and youth, with all unit activities maintaining this focus. Units and PTA councils partner with schools and the community, while remaining a group that adheres to PTA policies.
Purpose of the PTA:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and school, so that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social and spiritual education.
For more information on the New York State PTA, go to http://www.nyspta.org
Additional information on the National PTA can be obtained at www.pta.org